The Predator

Home Economics in Landrum

Marina Scolaro

You have come to the point in life where you have to make your food, but you don’t know how to measure ¼ or 1/3 without measuring cups. If you had home economics in middle school, you might have already been done the cooking but no. Instead, you spent time figuring out how to measure amounts, but then you finally gave up and made a microwaveable meal. 6th grader Grace Chris states “yes we should have home economics here at Landrum because it’s good to learn at a young age, something you have to learn in the future.” Grace is right; kids should be able to learn how to cook for when they grow up in the future. However, some kids here at Landrum think we shouldn’t have home economics. 7th grader Paige Macko believes “Students at our school are too immature to handle cooking and other aspects of household management, especially at school. Having to deal with hot pots and pans, students would just not be able to handle it and have the risk of getting burned.” Paige may be right, but if we have the students’ parents sign a waiver stating that if they get burned it’s not the school’s fault and it’s the kid’s fault, it will be ok. Also, if kids were to misbehave three times, they will be kicked out of home economics. Home Economics usually brings to mind sewing aprons and cake baking. However, home economics classes taught much more. As universities conducted research, home economics classes taught advanced courses in nutrition and hygiene as well as economics. Students who graduated from these programs went on to teaching positions to pass on this knowledge. This led to jobs in hospitals, restaurants, and hotels. Therefore, what is usually thought of as a class for blocked students prepare students for the real world and career.

Photo courtesy of AAUW

• Home Economics in Landrum

Entertainment

Summer Movie Preview

• Home Economics in Landrum

Features

The Finals Are Coming!

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• Home Economics in Landrum

Entertainment

It’s High School Next!

• Home Economics in Landrum

Features

Chewing Gum in School

• Home Economics in Landrum

Entertainment

The Giver Review

• Features

Do You Miss Field Day?

• Home Economics in Landrum

Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War Review

• Home Economics in Landrum

Entertainment

8thGrade Gradventure Field Trip

• Home Economics in Landrum

Features

The Dangers of JUULs and Vaping

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Home Economics in Landrum