The Predator

The History of the Flu

Roxy Rowles and Ava-Grace Redick

Beginning in Mississippi and Louisiana the virus traveled all along the USA bringing illness to 6% of the entire country. Known as the Flu, this virus is quickly spreading and sickening more than 12,000 victims. This year the flu weakens your immune system causing 100-degree fevers, sore throat, coughing, and more. The flu targets elders and younger people because of their weaker immune system. Also, 30 children have died, and the flu is still thriving. Hospitalization is also an issue during flu seasons. For instance, some hospitals in southern California and Texas has to set up triage tents or even worse send them away. According to Syracuse.com, it states, “Hospitalization rate on January 13, 2018, was 31.5 people out of 100,000 come in for the flu.” Furthermore, according to The New York Times, the flu is considered “moderately severe,” but doctors say it will increase. Influenza is a severe virus spreading illness, hospitalization, and expanding to all states.

In general, the flu categorizes many symptoms, but some will quickly detect influenza. For example, some include severe aches, sore throat, runny nose, and a dry cough. For adults, symptoms include trouble breathing, severe vomiting, confusion, and dizziness. Symptoms of the flu can last up to 2 weeks and remain. For instance, Ms. Melnyk explained, “150 student has been absent due to illness or the Flu.”

So the question is do you have the Flu or just a regular cold. Usually, colds are less severe in symptoms and go away more quickly. However, colds can lead to infections that can lead to pneumonia, a severe infection of the lungs. On the other side, the flu is a viral infection that cannot be cured. Marina Scolaro, a 7th grader, claims “it lasted for a week and a half with moderate to severe symptoms.” This means you can’t use any medicine besides natural remedies to “lessen” the symptoms. On the other hand, if you catch it before 48 hours you can get antibiotics to “nip” the flu. Therefore, the Flu is more severe, and colds usually disappear but if not they may be life-threatening

Preventing the Flu is always worth a chance. Some ways you can avoid the flu is getting a flu shot. In contrast, it may not be 100% effective and may give you the flu in return. Although it may not be guaranteed to prevent the flu, it’s worth the chance. Using natural substances such as drinking lots of water, eating chicken noodle soup, drinking tea, and cleaning your house is effective. Also pumping Vitamins can strengthen your immune system, which the flu attacks and invades. Furthermore, washing your hands and avoiding contact with your eyes, nose, and face is beneficial. Flu shots, cleanliness, vitamins, and more can protect yourself from the virus known as Influenza.

Influenza is a deadly virus that has contaminated 6% of USA. Weakening your immune system which leads you too vulnerable symptoms of coughing, sneezing, vomiting, and more to come. This virus left the country invested and is expanding quickly. On the other hand, we can get flu shots, vitamins, and be clean to shield the flu. In all, influenza comes with copious symptoms that are spreading quickly, and we need to be prepared for the worse.

• The History of the Flu

Entertainment

Summer Movie Preview

• The History of the Flu

Features

The Finals Are Coming!

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• The History of the Flu

Entertainment

It’s High School Next!

• The History of the Flu

Features

Chewing Gum in School

• The History of the Flu

Entertainment

The Giver Review

• Features

Do You Miss Field Day?

• The History of the Flu

Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War Review

• The History of the Flu

Entertainment

8thGrade Gradventure Field Trip

• The History of the Flu

Features

The Dangers of JUULs and Vaping

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
The History of the Flu