The Predator

Living with Braces

Ava Poole and Emily Dorairaj

Middle school is famous for it’s busy, drama-filled halls, crazy days, and of course, braces. The chances are, you have braces, had braces or will get braces. And if you’re one of the lucky few who naturally has perfect teeth, you probably know someone that has had braces.  They are one of the most personalized experiences people can have. Everyone who wears them has a different dental struggle. Braces can fix an overbite, an under-bite, and so much more.  From how long you are using them, to the color(s) they are, almost everything varies with the different people who wear them. Not to mention, there’s over six orthodontists in our area alone! Braces can be painful, and even “the worst”- but in the long run, your smile will thank you.

Now-a-days, there are many types of braces. Clear, square, circle, small, or large- you name it! However, for people wearing traditional styled braces, one of the hardest parts of an orthodontist appointment is picking colors for your brackets! There are so many factors in the process of picking- and for indecisive people, this can be quite the challenge! Your fashion style, hair color, and the time of year are all things to consider when choosing the colors you will be wearing for six-weeks. Though the decision may seem intimidating, don’t stress too much, for in the end, the colors of your braces is barely noticeable. So choose the colors you want to choose- go with a neutral color palette, or rock some eccentric colors, it’s all up to you.

Speaking of regret, braces can be a struggle to get through but they’ll be worth it in the end. One of the most irritating issues among middle school students wearing braces is that their diet is restricted. People can’t eat the food they love- well, at least that’s what the rules say. Many brace-faced kids “bend” these rules. However, sometimes breaking the rules can lead to the “bending” of wires. But can we blame them? Everything from apples to the “itos” (Doritos, Fritos, Tostitos, Cheetos, and etc.)  are on the infamous restricted list. These rules effect a person’s everyday life and the holiday times. Enjoying a Christmas candy cane, a Thanksgiving turkey leg, or even a Halloween lollipop, are only hopeless dreams when it comes to the list. A dumb diet can really put a damper on the holiday spirit! Dental rules also effect everyday life. Guidelines tell how chewing on gum can land your brackets in a sticky situation! You can’t even dine on certain fruits and vegetables- we need our daily nutrition! Having a restricted food palette is one of the worst struggles of wearing wires and brackets. Even though braces can limit your food intake, it’s important to know that rules are put in place for a reason, and sometimes we just have to accept the rules- even if they keep us from chewing our favorite brand of bubble gum!

Braces may not be “the best”, but at least they are improving your smile day by day- however, the process can be a little painful. The first week or two of wearing braces can be tough. Your teeth will hurt and your cheeks may develop sores. It will be hard to eat, as your teeth will be aching- but the pain will ease! After some time, you’ll forget that they are even there. And if the pain doesn’t reside, make sure to stop by your orthodontist. There may be a problem with your wires, or a bracket may have been placed in the wrong spot. Even if your braces are in perfect order, your orthodontist will still provide wax that will make the reduce pain. Though the aching my return in days following an appointment, like always, the pain will reside. Overtime, your orthodontist may add spacers or rubber-bands to your treatment. These can be a challenge. You will really have to step up your brace game! Extra flossing, replacements, water-picks, and more will be required to keep your teeth in tip-top condition. So, as long as you try to keep good dental hygiene, you and your smile will be just fine.

At thousands of dollars, braces come at a hefty price- but they will definitely pay off. At the end of your term with braces, you will be extremely grateful for all the time and effort you put into keeping a beautiful smile. And then, you’ll be free to eat whatever your heart desire!

• Living with Braces

Entertainment

Summer Movie Preview

• Living with Braces

Features

The Finals Are Coming!

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• Living with Braces

Entertainment

It’s High School Next!

• Living with Braces

Features

Chewing Gum in School

• Living with Braces

Entertainment

The Giver Review

• Features

Do You Miss Field Day?

• Living with Braces

Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War Review

• Living with Braces

Entertainment

8thGrade Gradventure Field Trip

• Living with Braces

Features

The Dangers of JUULs and Vaping

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Living with Braces