The Predator

It’s High School Next!

“Beep, beep, beep.” It’s the sound of the excruciating alarm clock yelling on the nightstand. It’s
August 10th, a date dreaded by many students in St. Johns county, the first day of school. Alice B.
Landrum Middle School is composed of 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Entering 8th grade will be a milestone
for many. Students will be enjoying their last year at Landrum, and also prepare for high school. Being an
8th grader can be enjoyable. However, being the oldest in the school requires responsibility. As an 8th
grader being a role model may be important, there’s certain benefits of being in this grade, and there’s fun
incentives they get to participate in.
To start, 8th graders may be expected to be role models. It’s usually the responsibility of older
students to model proper behavior in a school setting. According to 7th grader, Roxy Rowles, “Its
important for 8th graders to be role models in our school. You don’t want them to set bad influences for
the younger grades.” As described by this student, negative behavior is can be common throughout
schools. Role models help shape our schools into a better setting. On the other hand, rising 8th grader
Mallory Moore disagreed. “It’s not important for 8th graders to be a role model because we’re in middle
school and we don’t need role models. Our parents can teach us the importance of having good behavior.
We’re in middle school, everyone should behave.” At the age of eleven through fourteen, many expect
you to already have learned proper etiquette from your parents. This is the view others take on this
subject. Therefore, being a role model may be an expectation of 8th graders.
Next, there’s many benefits of being the oldest in the school. These students usually get to make
more decisions. “I’m looking forward to Chinese because I want to go to China and be able to speak the
language and read the signs,” (6th grader Ella Frantz). 8th graders get elective choices that appeal to
students. Students get to choose what best fits their interest. This helps make your school day more
enjoyable! Likewise, 7th grader Mitchell Mccon told the PREDATOR, “I’m looking forward to Spanish
II because I really enjoy Spanish. I enjoy learning about the culture.” Spanish II is only offered to 8th
graders and it’s filled with information to learn! This allows you to expand your vocabulary, and is good
for students with a love for this culture. Thus, there’s different choices that can be made in the 8th grade.
Finally, there’s multiple incentives that apply to only 8th graders. Many people who attend
Landrum know about trips taken in this grade. Some of the field trips depend on what classes you take.
Others include the whole 8th grade. For example, a popular trip eagerly awaited by many is Gradventure.
This is when the whole grade level makes a trip to Universal Orlando Resort. According to Mary Kate
Reynolds of the 7th grade, “If they’re still doing Gradventure I would like to do that. It would be fun. I
like going places with my friends and going to amusement parks. The experience would be good.” Many
students enjoy being rewarded at the end of the year. This allows them to enjoy themselves with their
friends. Moreover, Patrick Lydon of the 7th grade stated, “I would definitely be excited for Gradventure
because I’ve never been to Universal and would enjoy that. I would also be looking forward to going to
another city or state. I don’t travel past the east coast and would like to go somewhere else.” Trips give
students the opportunity to have fun, but also learn new facts about different surroundings. Hence, many
trips are offered to the 8th graders.
To conclude, 8th grade may be something to look forward to for students at Landrum. With our
2018- 2019 school year just around the corner, rising 8th graders will experience what it’s like to rule the
school. Therefore, 8th graders may be expected to be role models, there are benefits of being the oldest in
our school, and there are many fun activities students will get to participate in.
– 30 –

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

Summer Movie Preview

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

80’s Fashion Trend

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

Summer Activities

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

The Giver Review

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War Review

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

8thGrade Gradventure Field Trip

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

Do You Fortnite?

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

Landrum Basketball

• It’s High School Next!

Entertainment

A Day in the Life of a Custodian

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
It’s High School Next!