The Predator

The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Patrick Lydon

Everyone knows about the simple, easy go-to Hand Sanitizer. Compared to washing your hands, quickly getting a little squirt of Purell is a much more efficient way of cleaning your hands. However, Hand Sanitizer isn’t all what it seems. In fact, Hand Sanitizer is actually killing bacteria that helps keep you healthy.

According Snopes.com a four-year-old got alcohol poisoning just by licking her hand at school that happened to still have hand sanitizer on it. She was being very lethargic and incoherent. She was rushed to hospital and they took many tests but they couldn’t tell what was wrong with her. They took blood tests, as well as X-Rays but they didn’t find out what happened until they asked the girls classmates and they answered. This made the parents aware of the danger of Hand Sanitizer and they have been staying away from it and have been washing their hands instead.

Almost every classroom here in Landrum has at least one bottle of Hand Sanitizer ready to be used. Of course students at Landrum are all old enough to know not to eat Hand Sanitizer. However, ingesting this substance isn’t the only harmful that you can do. As well as being a great factor of alcohol poisoning, according to thestreet.com Hand Sanitizer also helps kill good bacteria. This bacteria is supposed to be the type that helps protect against bad bacteria, but with Hand Sanitizer that bacteria will be no more. Students at Landrum like Ben Black have said that after knowing these facts they would wash their hands more often, instead of just quickly using Hand Sanitizer. Other students like Kathryn Cooper have heard about these dangers and have been staying away from it.

While these facts may be true, students and teachers at Landrum will keep and use Hand Sanitizer at their own will, these are students like Grier Hopkins who claims to only use Hand Sanitizer on a daily basis, not caring about the facts given to her. Keep in mind washing your hands is always the correct way to properly get rid of germs and unhealthy bacteria. Overall, the answer to staying healthy is not in Hand Sanitizer.

Photo courtesy of ThoughtCo

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Entertainment

After School Activities

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Features

The History of the Flu

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Features

Living with Braces

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Four C's

How To Study For Your Midterm

• The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

• Entertainment

Stranger Things – Season 2

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer