The Predator

Dress to Impress at Landrum

As clothing trends and styles are changing in fashion, so too are students’ opinions of our
dress code at Alice B. Landrum. Have you ever had to change your outfit due to it not fitting in
with the dress code? Most students claim that they have! According to Landrum’s dress code the
school wants its students to be proud of the way they present themselves in a professional manner.
It states that students shall adhere to the following; no extreme hairstyles or accessories, no mini
tees and or skirts, and your shoulder must be covered. In addition, no shorts or rips four inches
above the knee, your shirt must cover your behind while wearing cotton leggings and no heavy
chains are allowed. Those are just a few standards in this school’s dress code.
Depending on who you ask, everyone from the dean to the students will have their own
opinion on the dress code. Dean Anthony’s view is definitely one of the most important ones.
According to Dean Anthony, “Without our dress code, people would misbehave, it would be chaos!
When coming to school, you need to look professional!” Imagine coming to school in a bathing
suit! Not only would you feel strange, but you’d be the center of attention! Landrum is trying to
strongly prevent this. Additionally, Anthony feels that our dress code is nothing short of
regular.Years ago, our old dress code consisted of a tucked in shirt and a belt, every day! She
believes that the dress code has become less strict. Dean Anthony tells the PREDATOR, “There’s
not many problems with the boys. However, they cannot have ripped jeans, muscle tees, and hats.
We’ve become more loose with hair dye, ripped jeans, and sleeveless tops.” Therefore, the Dean is
comfortable with our dress code and believes that it won’t ever change again.
Not only does the Dean feel this way about the dress code, but some students do as well!
According to 7th grader, Devan Papock, “I don’t really mind the dress code. It’s there so you look
professional and appropriate.” Helaina Hynes, a 7th grade student, also agrees with Dean Anthony.
She tells the PREDATOR, “The dress code is fine! I kind of like it.” On the other hand, there are
plenty of students who disagree with the dress code. Ella Beane attending the 7th grade here at
LMS says, “Our dress code is not fair. It leans more toward the girls through the rules of shorts and
leggings.” There’s a tremendous amount of girls and boys who believe our dress code applies more
to the girls, rather than the boys. According to 7th grader Aubrie Ricchini, “It’s hard to find clothes
in dress code. I enjoy wearing ripped jeans and off the shoulder shirts.” However, those are not
allowed at Landrum. Hence, there are some students who agree with Dean Anthony, but there’s a
fair share of students who respectfully disagree.
Finally, there’s a comparison of other districts dress codes. Do you believe we are treated
fair here at Landrum? Many North East schools rules do not contain a dress code with multiple
rules. Saxe Middle School in New Canaan Connecticut has a very light dress code. The only rules
that apply are no inappropriate slogans, and no undergarments could be revealed. New student,
Jacob Raider of the 6th grade, moved from Virginia, which is considered to be over the southern
border. However, he claims that he had no dress code. Thus, the dress code at Landrum is
perceived as impacting, and varys from other schools. From the dean’s view on the dress code, the
students perspective of it, and a comparison to other school districts, everyone has a different
opinion on this interesting topic.
-30-

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

After School Activities

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

Lion Uncaged!

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

Fear the Elf on the Shelf!

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

“The Last Jedi” RUMORS!

• Dress to Impress at Landrum

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

• Entertainment

Stranger Things – Season 2

• Entertainment

American Obesity

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Dress to Impress at Landrum