The Predator

7 Period Schedule

Smith Bradshaw

As we neared the end of last school year, a huge change was brewing in Landrum regarding the schedule. This change has affected our class schedule for this school year in a huge way; changing it from a block schedule to a seven-period day. In the 2016-2017 school year and earlier, Landrum had a block schedule, meaning the classes were longer and were not as often (every other day). Now, with a seven-period schedule, the classes are shorter and more often (every day). But, was the change for better or worse? Most students agree that this shift to a seven-period day has, indeed, been beneficial.

Students are happy with the shorter classes of this school year due to the fact that classes are visited daily. As 7th grader Xander Javier put it, “In the new schedule, I get to go to each of my classes every day, so I remember the material better. This helps me do better in my classes.” In other words, since students are visiting each of their classes every day, as opposed to every other day, they are retaining more information that is taught in class. This improves the students’ overall performance on tests, quizzes, and other assessments.

Not only is the new schedule valuable to students because of daily class visits, but the shorter periods are beneficial to students’ focus. Since the periods are shorter, students are able to stay focused and engaged for the whole class, according to brighthub.com. On the other hand, with 90-minute class periods, it is harder for students to stay engaged for the whole class, which makes it more difficult to retain what they are learning. 7th grader Marina Mitchell illustrates, “I am so glad that I don’t have to sit through long classes anymore. It is so much easier to endure math now.” Landrum students seem to agree that school is much better now that we have shorter classes.

Still, not everyone is happy with the new 7-period schedule. Will Mathis, one of those schedule purists, says, “I am strongly opposed to the new schedule because I need to do homework for seven classes in one day. In the old schedule, I had two days to complete my homework.” So, even though the seven-period day is beneficial for students’ performance, the homework load from the new schedule is larger, and sometimes harder to handle.

In sum, the seven-period schedule that has been implemented this year at Landrum is proving to be very advantageous for the students. It is improving student performance, all while keeping students engaged. Even though it might bring more homework, this new schedule is looking like it will bring nothing but good things for Landrum students.

• 7 Period Schedule

Entertainment

After School Activities

• 7 Period Schedule

Features

The History of the Flu

• 7 Period Schedule

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• 7 Period Schedule

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

• 7 Period Schedule

News

The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

• 7 Period Schedule

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

• 7 Period Schedule

Features

Living with Braces

• 7 Period Schedule

Four C's

How To Study For Your Midterm

• 7 Period Schedule

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
7 Period Schedule