The Predator

Don’t Break Your Back

Patrick Lydon

During this school year many kids have been seen with barely anything on their backs, while others look like they are going to collapse on the floor because of the weight crushing them. They might have all the same classes, but still there is such a difference in their backpacks. The reason is because of lockers.

Lockers have been placed all over the school and even in most homeroom classes, but why don’t all students use them. This is mainly because of where your locker is. People like Summer Zaffuto have their locker in their homeroom, but still uses it because it makes her backpack lighter. Other students like Isabella Siegfrieb have lockers in their homeroom as well, but would much rather have her locker in a hallway to be more convenient, and so she would actually use it. “I have only decorated my locker and that’s it.” A problem with not using your locker can be all the weight that is on your back.

The weight of a backpack can affect a student. The average weight of a kid who goes to this middle school should be between 7.5 pounds to 12.5 pounds according ism.com “The source for private school news.” With too much weight on your back and not using your locker can result in neck and back strains as well as nerve damage in shoulders and neck. This can be a huge issue not to mention that The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s measurement was around 3,000 children ages 5-14 were sent to emergency room for injuries relevant to backpacks in just 1998. Since then however, backpack weight has been reduced and there have been less casualties related to backpacks.

Just this information could make kids change their mind about how much they should use their locker and maybe start using them more often. Hopefully no one at this school will ever experience horrible consequences like the ones mentioned above. Just remember, stay strong lions!

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

The History of the Flu

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

• Features

Newest ROAR TV Video Yearbook Madness!

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

Net Neutrality

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

Living with Braces

• Don’t Break Your Back

Entertainment

Lion Uncaged!

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

ROARTV 3rd in the State

• Don’t Break Your Back

Features

Holiday Observations at LMS

• Don’t Break Your Back

Entertainment

“The Last Jedi” RUMORS!

• Don’t Break Your Back

Entertainment

Winter Trends

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Don’t Break Your Back