The Predator

Social Media and it’s Effects on Your Grades

Corbin Glenn and Eric Reilly

With a rise in social media use, one has to wonder does it affect your life and more importantly school. With most kids having social media by 8th grade and hours of use per a person, does this change a person’s mind and efficiency in the classroom? In a webpage on the Brown Daily Herald by Riley Davis, a survey showed a decrease in grades with college girls who use social media. Could it be the same with middle school teens? Research in Landrum has demonstrated that the most commonly used applications of social media are Instagram and Snapchat. Most teens use social media daily, and some even get in trouble for using in school. Personally, Mrs.Middaugh hates social media; however, she thinks it does not affect grades if you use it correctly and not get addicted. Most kids are under the impression that their grades have not changed with social media use. Is that true? Emma Atkins states that social media “Can start drama and can be used for inappropriate reasons.”

According to the Cyberbullying Research Center, about half of young people in the United States have experienced some form of cyberbullying on social media. It doesn’t even have to be cyberbullying; there are lots of other problems rooted in social media. But, interviews show that some students are not at all believing that social doesn’t change your grades and believe it can change and it does. Research and personal experience are contradicting each other, so it’s up to debate right now. Teens might not be getting enough sleep, and texting/social media might be to blame. Recent research suggests a lack of sleep may be a growing problem because of increases in digital communication among teens. Most teens with social media get 6-7 hours of sleep when nine is required for good grades. Every extra hour can help grades. Most Landrum students say it does not affect your grades when data shows it is not true. Joseph Wappel thinks it doesn’t along change your grades with a lot of others we interviewed. However, Joseph believes social media is good at moderation. The adoption of social media in everyday life is one of the driving forces behind these changing expectations and how social media is changing education. The impact of these technologies on education can be considered positive but also has some severe consequences. According to Academiaapps.com, some advantages of social media’s impact on students is it increases student collaboration and is useful for team projects. Some disadvantages are student distraction can become an issue and rely on social media for all contact. There have been studies of the impact of social media on brains and the adverse effects not only having a significant impact on education. There have been many debates on various platforms and press as to the impact that social media has on society and more importantly, education.

With many people divided on the subject, you have to wonder whether it does or does it not affect grades. We have found that it depends on the person and how responsible for using social media. However, most students are not.

Photo credit of Ms. Pagliughi

• Social Media and it’s Effects on Your Grades

Entertainment

After School Activities

Features

The History of the Flu

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

News

The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

Features

Living with Braces

Four C's

How To Study For Your Midterm

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School