The Predator

Zoning for Schools

Mia Vella and Grace Taylor

Zoning for the new school in Nocatee has newly become a severe problem. As you may know, there is a new K-8 school being built to get rid of overcrowding, and the students who live near the new school will most likely not be here next year. That means that if you have friends that live in Nocatee and you don’t, you won’t see them next year. If you and all your friends live in Nocatee, you’re in luck! You may be going to a new school, but at least you’ll be together. There are two sides to this situation: New opportunity or dreadful situation? Therefore, some students were interviewed about the issue.

One student, Samantha Zucker, had bad thoughts about this situation. “I don’t like it because I don’t want (sic) none of my friends to leave me.” She believed it was a dreadful situation and was asked to sum it all up in one word. That word was, “horrible.” However, another student, Keira LePage, was also interviewed and had an interesting representation of thoughts about this matter. “I think it’s kind of rude because you won’t be able to see all your friends in Nocatee. You won’t be able to see them anymore because they’re going to a different school.” However, she did describe this as a new opportunity, though she is not excited about it. She said she wasn’t excited because “Most of my friends are going away.” While disappointed, she was also asked to sum it all up, and she said, “Opportunity.” Besides our wonderful students here at Landrum, we also heard the point of view of our assistant principal, Ms. Middaugh. Her reply to our question, “What do you think about new school zoning?” was simply, “You have to do what you have to do. Many people are upset about leaving this school because they want to go here or their friends are here, but it’s growing, and there is just a lot happening.”

Population and overcrowding have been a real issue. Many buses are overloaded for students with such a large body size. Many students can’t fit three to a seat because they’ve grown. This means many students are hanging off the end of a seat and are in the aisle. Not only is this dangerous, but it also makes it difficult for people getting off. Other than that, there is also the pep rally problem. For us seventh and eighth graders, we know that this year, we were unable to have a pep rally in the gym due to overcrowding. When this new school is built, this problem will go away. Therefore, the buses will be safer, and we can have pep rallies once again!

While many people are upset, this is a new beginning for many students and Landrum as well. We will all miss the Nocatee residents, but we believe this could be a great opportunity made out of a dreadful situation. Stay safe and enjoy your new school, Nocatee!

Photo credit of Staugustine.com

• Zoning for Schools

Entertainment

After School Activities

• Zoning for Schools

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• Zoning for Schools

Opinion

How does the Holiday Season affects your Mood?

• Zoning for Schools

Entertainment

“The Last Jedi” RUMORS!

• News

Winter Food Trends

• Entertainment

American Obesity

• Zoning for Schools

Opinion

Landrum Elective Choices

• Zoning for Schools

News

Social Media and it’s Effects on Your Grades

• Zoning for Schools

Entertainment

Pumpkin Spice Craze

• Zoning for Schools

Features

Live streaming the Pep-Rallys

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Zoning for Schools