The Predator

Girls in Boy Scouts

Marina Mitchell and Iulia Berianu

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017, the Boy Scouts of America Organization announced that they would be letting girls into boy scouts. Immediately, people will take a side. Should girls be allowed in Boy Scouts, or should the gender barriers remain?

To start off with, there are many people with a strong opinion that girls should be allowed into Boy Scouts. To break gender stereotypes and allow girls to do the same things that boys do. Smith Bradshaw says that he feels that the scout organization could just incorporate Boy Scout activities into girl scouts, or have a group with all genders of scouts. “It doesn’t make a   difference, as long as they are with their friends.” To add on to this, Mrs. Woeppel, a teacher at LMS, says “I don’t know if I’m opposed to unifying the genders. Also, research tells us that children as young as six determine gender stereotypes and this is a way to eliminate that.” There are also positive opinions about combining the genders outside of Landrum. Danelle Jacobs, a lawyer in California, says “My point has always been that there is nothing wrong with girl scouts, it’s just not the right fit for our family. Girls should be able to have a choice.” Bryan Spellman, a scoutmaster, says “I think Scouting is one of the greatest youth organizations that we have in this nation. And if that’s something that can be shared with all sexes, it can be fantastic.” However, he also said, “Everybody knows an Eagle Scout,” But the Girl Scouts’ top award “is just not held as high or as valuable in people’s minds, and I’m not sure why.” In the opinions of many, this is due to gender inequality, and allowing girls to earn their Eagle award and be a Boy Scout will help fix the gender stereotypes that society has created.

On the contrary, girls going into boy scouts should not happen. We should have gender barriers, it’s normal. Girls are girls; boys are boys. According to The New York Times, “The decision was celebrated by many women, but criticized by the Girl Scouts Organization, which said that girls flourish in all-female groups. ‘We’ve had 106 years of supporting girls and a girl-only safe place,’ said Lisa Margosian, chief customer officer for the Girl Scouts, who added that the organization felt ‘blindsided’ by the announcement. ‘So much of a girl’s life is a life where she is in a coed environment, and we have so much research and data that suggests that girls thrive in an environment where they can experiment, take risks and stretch themselves in the company of other girls.” Roan Wallerius, a sixth grader an LMS said, “Boy Scouts has the word ‘boys’ so they shouldn’t be combined.” Girl Scouts provides a free space for girls to learn and thrive. Others were deeply skeptical. Joseph Carballo, 70, has been with the Boy Scouts for 30 years, most of that time as a scoutmaster of Troop 65, in the Bronx. His two sons, both Eagle Scouts and now in their 30s and 40s, have been with the organization since the 1990s. “And we all have the same view: no girls,” he said. He said he suspected not everyone would feel that way. “There’s resistance to change,” he said. “People hate change, and people love tradition.” Adapting to change has always been hard for us humans. The great Plato said that if a person is locked in a cave his whole life and manages to break free, he will be scared by the grass and trees and all his new surroundings causing him to go back to the cave. We shouldn’t change these traditions that we’ve had so long, and scouts should remain the same they have been for the past 106 years.

In conclusion, in the year 2019, the plan to allow girls into Boy Scouts will be set into action. However, everyone has opposing opinions to others. So, what do you think? Should scouting remain the same or shall we break society’s gender barriers?

Photo credit of Tes.com

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Entertainment

After School Activities

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Features

The History of the Flu

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

• Girls in Boy Scouts

News

The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Features

Living with Braces

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Four C's

How To Study For Your Midterm

• Girls in Boy Scouts

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Girls in Boy Scouts