The Predator

The Effects of Blue Light

Melissa Marino

Many students at Landrum go on their devices before bed and others don’t. As of this year, more students go on their devices before bed than teachers. Many know these warnings exist but don’t listen to them. This can be harmful to their health.

Evidence suggests that you should give yourself at least 30 minutes’ device-free before going to bed. You should also keep the room you’re sleeping in a technology-free zone. Many people disagree with this information because, even though they know it’s right, they still don’t follow these rules. To get some feedback from the students, Ava Poole responds to the information by saying, “I feel surprised that keeping devices in your room is harmful to your health. I was aware that studies showed that they were a distraction. I will benefit from this information.”

Sources show that blue light emitted by screens on devices restrain the production of melatonin. Melatonin is the hormone that controls your sleep patterns and develops a sleep/wake pattern, so you go to sleep and wake up at similar times every day. Even though many people know about this information, a lot of people are not listening and continue going on their devices close to when they go to sleep and keeping devices in their room. This is not a good idea, and people at this school know it. From interviewing students and teachers, the results suggest that teachers are more aware of these warnings and how bad this is for you than students.

Many people use their phone as an alarm clock, but some people have actual alarm clocks. Using your phone may seem like a good idea, but it is very bad for you. If you do, I suggest switching to an alarm clock. If you wake up in the middle of the night and you keep your phone in your room when you sleep, this may be the cause of your rough sleeping and you being tired all the time.

Mrs. Stanton gives herself about 2 hours of device-free time before going to bed, and she believes it is necessary to follow all proven warnings to make sure she gets a good night’s sleep. She believes rest is critical and she is pursuing an ideal path. However, many do not think the same, and for this to change, many people need to either listen to the many proven experiments or someone has to warn them before they fail a test because of little sleep.

To review, I believe that it is necessary to keep your room device-free and leave at least 30 min of extra time after going on your devices. You should make sure to listen to proven experiments and make sure you stay a happy and healthy person.

Photo credit of Dailymail.com

• The Effects of Blue Light

Entertainment

After School Activities

• The Effects of Blue Light

Features

The History of the Flu

• The Effects of Blue Light

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

• The Effects of Blue Light

Entertainment

Do Music Videos Enhance the Song?

• The Effects of Blue Light

News

The Truth Behind Hand Sanitizer

• The Effects of Blue Light

Features

Are Claw Machines Rigged?

• The Effects of Blue Light

Features

Living with Braces

• The Effects of Blue Light

Four C's

How To Study For Your Midterm

• The Effects of Blue Light

Entertainment

Winter Trends

• Entertainment

Old Time Music

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
The Effects of Blue Light