The Predator

To Chew or Not to Chew

Do you chew gum in class? Chewing gum in class has always been a problem for teachers and students. Even though some teachers don’t agree with students chewing gum in class, most students find it soothing. Landrum assistant principal Ms. Middaugh states, “It depends on your teacher for chewing gum in their class, but since I was a teacher before if you are trustworthy by not smacking, making bubbles and you throw it away. I agree with chewing gum in class.”Most students polled agreed with Ms. Middaugh.

A few of Landrum’s students found it distracting. Mallory Moore says she likes to chew the gum but, it doesn’t affect her in any way.

Some student’s like the rhythmic chewing to keep them concentrating. Ben Burke claims, “Chewing gum is beneficial because it helps you focus on things more.” I can say that most students agree with Ben on this. More students like Davis Corbett and Sofia Trejo states it helps relieve stress and benefits them because it helps them focus and memorize things better than they could without chewing gum.

Do flavors make a difference? Some students chew mint flavored gum while they are studying, which makes them feel like it helps them to remember things when it comes to the day of the test.

Now, students shouldn’t expect all teachers to allow them to chew gum in class. According to one of our janitors over the summer, they have to scrap all of the gum off the floor and under the desks. 7th grader Grace Bearry states, “That is a lot of work for the janitors to do over the summer when they’re supposed to be relaxing. If the students could be more responsible and not put it on the desk and throw it away, maybe more teachers would allow you to chew gum in class.”

Researchers at the Baylor College of medicine took 108 eight grade math students from a Huston, Texas, charter school and divided them for 14 weeks. One group chewed gum while doing homework, and during test taking situations. The other group did not chew gum at all. The Results were surprising. The gum chewing students had a 3 percent increase in their standardized math tests scores, compared to those who didn’t chew the gum. Also, the students who chewed gum had better final grades, compared to the people who didn’t chew gum. This helps supports our theory on chewing gum in class because it proves that students perform academically better than students that didn’t chew gum.

To chew or not to chew? Whether it is a nasty habit or a sure fire way to concentrate better, you decide.

Photo credit of Education.com

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

Summer Activities

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

It’s High School Next!

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

The Giver Review

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War Review

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

8thGrade Gradventure Field Trip

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

Do You Fortnite?

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

Landrum Basketball

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

A Day in the Life of a Custodian

• To Chew or Not to Chew

Entertainment

Tomb Raider

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
To Chew or Not to Chew